Friday, June 26, 2009

Chicken Wings and Beer

I haven't posted in a while because I haven't had too much to tell you about. The life of a bachelor is pretty boring.

Go to work, go home, eat, sleep, repeat.

Other than work, the only thing really going on right now in Singapore is that we've got some new friends. A colleague from the Houston office has been transferred to Singapore to work with me here in the engineering department. I've known Dan for about 11 or 12 years in Houston. We started working at ABS within about a year of each other. The interesting thing about Dan joining the office out here is that he seems to be following me around the world.

When I met Dan for the first time in Houston, we discovered that we'd actually grown up about five miles away from each other, just on different sides of the town line. When we met in Houston, it was nice to have another Red Sox fan around to talk baseball with. It's even more so now that he's followed me to Singapore. Singapore isn't exactly what you would call a "baseball town."

I've been showing Dan and his wife Jessica around town a bit and doing what I can to help them get settled in. Other than that, I've pretty much just been eating poorly and drinking beer.

I've found that while I like cooking, making a healthy dinner-for-one when you don't get home from work until almost 8:00 isn't all that fun. Leftovers, hotdogs and take-out from across the street have been high on the list of menu choices these last few weeks. On Tuesday night, I decided to make a big pot of meatballs and sausages in tomato sauce that I could eat for the rest of the week. It turned out well and instead of drinking a beer with my meals, I switched to wine. See...I can be sophistocated.

I don't have much else to tell you about in Signapore, so I'll give you the update from the rest of the family in "the States".

Melissa and Jack got back to the US almost three weeks ago now. They started at Melissa's Mom's place in Virginia. After a while, they go an invite to join her brother Andy and his family in the Outer Banks of North Carolina. They all shared a great house with Andy's family and spent a ton of time on the beach playing in the waves.

After that trip, they headed back to Virginia to pack up again and jumped onto a plane to Houston to visit our friends there. They also used the trip back to Houston to catch up on doctor and dentist check-ups. (Everyone is healthy and no cavities.) Jack got to go to Vacation Bible School at his old school and was very happy to see a lot of his old classmates.

This weekend, Melissa and Jack will drive up to Austin to visit her sister Tory and her family for the weekend. So many cousins, so little time. After that, it's back to VA to wait for me to arrive in the middle of July.

I guess that's all for now. If I do anything interesting, I'll let you know.

1 comment:

Deacon Frank Tremblay said...

Not too much longer now - soon the Tremblay reunion will be in full swing. All us islanders on the main land once more (Singapore, Andros, Long Island, ...)

Looking forward to seeing you again. - Dad