Wednesday, May 21, 2014

I'm back!



We'll folks...there's only one way to say it.  We're heading back to Singapore!

Honestly, I can't believe it.  After four years back in the US, I had a surprise conversation with the boss.  I had absolutely no idea it was coming.  I knew that there was a job move in the near term planned for me, but I thought the plan was for my company to shift me to another role in the Houston office I was currently working in.  When the big boss told me I was getting a promotion and a transfer to Singapore, I we pretty much in shock.

It has now been a few weeks since I heard the news and it has finally settled in.  Time to start packing up the wonderful house we have in Texas and planning to start the next school year in Singapore.

I'm a little embarrassed to be back on the blog after it sort of fizzled out during my return to the states.  I only needed to make about two more good posts to really finish it well and close out the record of our two year adventure. 

The return the the US was a lot tougher than we would have expected.  Those first six months returning to the real life in the USA were a real struggle.  I guess it's just hard to go back to the real world after living in expat land.  Jack had  his first experience with the Texas public school system. (Which was tough, but worked out great in the end.) After a ton of looking, we found a house that we really fell in love with in a town that we really enjoy living in.

We're now knee deep in the family decision making that surrounds this kind of move.  What things do we want to bring with us and what do we want to leave behind?  Where in Singapore do we want to live? Should we really subject our 15 & 17 year old dogs to the stress of the move?  If not, then what? Blah, Blah, Blah...

Looks like we are planing to leave Texas on the last week of July.  It's going to be a busy 2 months. We've still got to finish the 6th grade, go to summer camp(s), visit with whoever we can, enjoy a previously planned cruise vacation and oh, yeah....pack to move to the other side of the world.

Wish us luck.  I'll do my best to keep up with our progress online.

I can't believe it...back to this Singapore Thing.

1 comment:

Newby said...

Yay! I am your first follower to comment again. Glad you are resuming updates! (Although I'm guessing FB will also be helpful on that front.)