Monday, May 10, 2010

This Houston Thing

Here is the big news that many of you may have already heard...the company I work for has decided that it is time for my job to move back to Houston.

I've just been given one of those promotions that aren't optional. We've sort of re-structured a bit of our organization at headquarters and part of it is me taking more responsibility within the Americas part of the company. I just finished a one week visit to Houston this week to go over a few things, meet some clients and spend some time with the new boss. As far as work goes, this looks like a fun job that I will really enjoy. As far as family goes, we're really going to miss Singapore.

I can't say enough how much we enjoy living here now. It's funny. For two years, I've blogged about the difficulties and quirks of living this expat life in a foreign land. Now that it's ending, we're very disappointed that it's over so soon.

As a family, we've never felt that we've been such a part of a community before. The American expat community that we're a part of in Singapore is a wonderful group of friends that we really enjoy spending time with. Melissa spends a ton of time working with the PTA and the Cub Scouts. She's also very active with the American Woman's Association and the neighborhood scrap-booking group. I'm coaching Little League and Jack is involved in more extracurricular activities that you can count. Put all of this together with a wonderful neighborhood and a school that we love and it's very hard to believe we're giving it all up.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what else to say. I guess I really haven't come to terms with the fact that we're leaving yet. I better deal with it quickly though because our departure is less than a month away. On June 4th, Melissa, Jack and I will get on a plane and fly to Australia for a 10 day vacation. From there, we'll fly directly to the US and our new start in Houston.

I'll keep you up to date as things progress over the next few weeks.

No comments: