Friday, July 4, 2008

Indiana Jones and the Curse of the Lego Monster


Jack's favorite activity in the whole world is to play video games with me. My guess is that by the time he's 12 (playing on the Xbox 720), he'll be able to kick my butt in most games.

His absolute favorite game has always been Lego Star Wars. It's actually a very well built game. Trust me, I'd know. I play a lot of video games. I even listen to a gaming podcast. (I know, I'm still just as big of a geek as I was in high school.) The game is designed to be easy enough for a 6 year old to play through by himself (mostly), while having tons of extra achievements to keep someone older (i.e. Dad) paying attention and trying to figure out the little puzzles hidden in the game.

I can't stand it.

Don't get me wrong, I love playing the game with Jack. It's easily the best hour of my day. Even thought we can frustrate each other with our shoddy gameplay and short tempers at times, we both love having completed a level together as a team. I'm just so sick of playing the same game over and over again. We must have burned over 100 hours total on this thing finding every hidden achievement.

When I heard that "Travelers Tales," the company that makes the game, was coming out with an Indiana Jones version, I was damn excited. Instead of destroying little Lego Storm Troopers with my light saber, I'd be able to destroy little Lego Nazis with my whip.



Well...not exactly. Jack destroys little Lego Nazis with a whip. I get to be the sidekick. (Usually a girl or a fat Palestinian guy with a shovel.)

I'm most excited about the next release from Travelers Tales. It's reported to be Lego Batman. When I was Jack's age, Batman was my favorite superhero. I can't wait to kick the Joker's butt or throw my "batarang" at the Riddler.

I don't care what Jack says, I'm not playing as Robin.

No comments: